Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Chassis Building

I don't pretend to think that I'm a professional fabricator. I don't do this for a living. But I have spent the last decade watching, helping, and soaking up as much information from pros as possible. This is also the fourth time I've tossed away a perfectly good stock chassis to make room for a better one.

My plan was pretty simple: I had all the dimentions of the old chassis written down and now all I needed to do was duplicate it while making the framerails shorter in height beneath the cab so that the rocker panels would sit flush with the bottom of the frame. This is so when the air is released from the suspenion, the truck will fall (slowly!) down toward the ground then the rock panels will kiss mother earth. It's a beautiful thing when done correctly and the view of large amounts of rim tucked sweetly up into the round fenders of a truck like the C10 is breathtaking.

The other parts of my plan included gussetting the chassis for strength and crafting front and rear suspension arms that will pivot enough to allow the truck to lay on the ground. My TIG welding capabilities range from weak when welding flat objects to straight suck ass when welding round tubes together so Mike Kim handled the TIG torch and I worked with the MIG gun.


We got started with the rear section of the frame, focusing on the fuel cell mounting location and IRS first.


1 comment:

  1. Truck looks GREAT Mike!
    let me know if you need any sheet metal homie..

    sokyclassics.com

    eddy.cebreco@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete