Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Other C10

I've got a serious weakness for Chevy trucks, especially the old ones. In addition to the '67, I also own a '73 shortbed C10 that I drive every day. During one of my recent road trips, I stopped in Texas so visit my friend Cory. Cory owns Kustomwerx Autobody and during the course of a four day layover in Conroe, he and his crew replaced a bed side and doors, and fixed rust, dents, and a ton of dings. This left just enough time to spray a quickie single-stage coat of blue on the body. I was so stoked when I hit the road in the C10 because it went from being brown, white, tan, and rust-colored to a flat metallic blue paintjob.

The truck looked great until I got home and adopted a dog. Bella, a Springer Spaniel with a serious case of separation anxiety, clawed the hell out of my C10 the first time I left her alone in the garage with my C10. I can only surmise that she recognized the truck as a safe place to hide until I returned home because she tried to claw her way into the cab from every angle. The doors, bed, and hood all had deep scratches that I couldn't buff out because of the flat color of paint on the truck.

So the truck went back to Wetworks Autobody in Costa Mesa for a repaint. Thank god for car insurance! While it was in the shop (again!), Marcel and I seized the opportunity to give the truck a color change, fix a few dents, and shave a few more holes. We saved a few bucks by gutting the interior, removing the bed, and performing the welding ourselves.
The dash, A- and B-pillars, and rear cab wall never got painted the first time so Marcel and I sanded all of these areas in preparation for a new coat of 2010 Ford Grabber Blue paint.











While the shop was getting the body straighter and scratch-free, Marcel and I shaved the hood emblem mounting holes.









When we left Wetworks yesterday the body was just about ready for a coat of sealer. We'll check back in a few days and report on the progress. I'm anxious to get the truck back before my mother-in-law repos her truck that I've been borrowing!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment